|"Things just happen, what the hell?"
|Charlotte, NC (USA)
"Azure... never thought the color was all that scary, myself. Not till that day. Leadin a horde of hellions onto the battle field and ridin' a dragon straight from the Nine Hells... it still wasn't enough to distract us from him... from it. Blood red hair, eyes like flames. His arm was big enough to snap an orc in two, like he stole it from some great devil... and that sword..."
Half-Fiend Human Male
Class: Soul Eater (homebrew, to be contributed later)
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Religion: Follows the orders of the demon prince Grazzat
Hit Points: 280
AC: 30 (+9 natural), +3 (Dex), +8 (Azure Full Plate)
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+32
Attacks: Soul Edge (2d10+5+unholy+siege bonus; 18-20/x4) +32 melee, Claw (1d10+siege bonus (+10/+15/+20) +32 melee, Bite (1d10 (Grapple only) +32 melee
Full Attack: Soul Edge (2d10+5+unholy+siege bonus; 18-20/x4) +32/+28/+24/+20/+16 OR Claw (1d10+siege bonus 20/x2) +32/+28/+24/+20/+16
- Fort Save: +15
- Ref Save: +16
- Will Save: +15
- Strength: 34 (+12)
- Dexterity: 20 (+5)
- Constitution: 22 (+6)
- Intelligence: 16 (+3)
- Wisdom: 18 (+4)
- Charisma: 18 (+4)
Jump +34, Climb +24, Move Silent +27, Hide +27, Listen +27, Search +27, Spot +32, Sense Motive +23
Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (dire blade), Diehard, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Track
Common, Infernal, Abyssal, Draconic, Undercommon
Darkvision (120ft), Tremorsense (120ft), Scent, Regeneration, Immune: Poison, 10 Resist: Acid, Electric, Cold and Fire, DR 10/magic, SR 30, Natural weapons treated as magic (for the purpose of damage reduction), Spell-Like abilities, Smite Good
Important note: Nightmare is not subject to the penalties of exceeding his soul levels because he is a part of the sword, as the sword is a part of him.
Soul Trapping: When trapping souls in either weapons or armor, the amount of souls needed to achieve the next “level” increases each time. In order to achieve the first change, one level of souls is needed. In order to reach the second, two more levels are needed, followed by three, then four, and so on. This can be achieved a number of ways:
- In order to reach level three, the soul eater can absorb three level one souls, a level two and a level one soul, or even a level three soul. If a higher-level soul is absorbed, then those remaining levels roll over, ergo a level four soul would reach level three and spill one level into the next change.
- The level of the character whose soul is taken equals the level of the soul. Because some powers draw from the number of souls within the changed object, sometimes it pays to take your time and fill up on low-level souls. A soul changed object is naturally evil, and causes revulsion amongst good characters.
- It is very, very important to remember that a soul eater can never hold more souls within himself or his equipment than his Soul Eater level (ie, he cannot have sixteen soul levels if he is only a level twelve Soul Eater) If this rule is ever broken, then the Soul Eater must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 +5 per soul level exceeding limit) every time he uses a soul changed item, or his soul will be devoured, destroying him.
Soul Trap: Weapon: Add a Soul Stone to your weapon; each time you land a killing blow with that weapon, the soul is taken and drawn into the weapon. Over time, this begins to affect the weapon, changing the strengths, properties and even appearance of the weapon. (See table - Soul Change: Weapon); keep in mind that a soul eater can never retain more souls than he has Soul Eater levels.
Soul Trap: Armor: Add a Soul Stone to your armor. This stone allows you to transfer trapped souls into the armor, changing the properties and appearance of the armor over time. (See table - Soul Change: Armor); keep in mind that a soul eater can never retain more souls than he has Soul Eater levels.
Soul Prison: The Soul Eater eventually learns to craft a Soul Prison, a special box that holds captured souls for later use. A soul can only be placed into a Soul Prison if it is drawn from the body via Soul Sap, or a similar method, or if removed from a soul changed item.
- The prison is a cube the size of a fist carved of obsidian and with the Rune of the Soul Eater carved on every side.
- This is the best way to handle souls. Absorbing a soul into the Soul Prison then allows the Soul Eater to extract as many soul levels as he can handle and no more.
- If ever a Soul Eater exceeds his soul levels, he can place the excess within a Soul Prison. (A soul prison will hold twice the Soul Eater’s level in soul levels.
- Crafting a Soul Prison takes seventy two hours and 2,000gp.
Use Soul: This ability allows you to use a trapped soul. Using this soul gives you a look into the knowledge’s and memories of the previous owner. For each soul used, the Soul Eater gains a skill bonus equal to half of the previous owner’s best skill. (eg. A soul whose previous owner had 20 ranks in move silent and 15 ranks in tumble would grant the Soul Eater 10 bonus points to move silent; this is because move silent was the soul’s best skill and the total is 10 because that is half of 20). This lasts for 24 hours and can only be used once per soul. Once this is done, the soul is destroyed.
Absorb Soul: This ability allows the Soul Eater to absorb souls into his own body. Before this can be done, a Soul Stone must be grafted into the Soul Eater’s chest. This will, as with the armor and weapons, eventually begin to alter the physical properties of the Soul Eater. (See table – Soul Change: Self); keep in mind that a soul eater can never retain more souls than he has Soul Eater levels.
Essence Prison: Another seventy tow hours of work and another 2,000gp later, and the Soul Eater has an essence prison allowing the Soul Eater to trap Essences, a much more powerful degree of soul. This prison will only hold an essence, and no more than 6 at one time.
Use Essence: This ability allows you to use a trapped essence. Using this essence gives you a limited use of the previous owner, as it were. A ghostly image of the physical owner descends over the Soul Eater and they find themselves capable of using the spells and, or abilities of the Essence. The Soul Eater must choose to use either the spells or spell-like abilities of the Essence. Each of these, spell or ability, can be used only once. After all have been used, the Essence is destroyed.
Absorb Essence: Similar to absorbing a soul, absorbing an Essence has a more immediate effect. This allows the Soul Eater to learn either one spell or one special ability known by the essence. An ability becomes permanently available to the Soul Eater and a spell can be used only once, but as a caster of the previous owner’s level. Afterwards, the essence is destroyed.
Craft Soul Stone: This skill allows you to create soul stones; you place souls within these stones, and then place the stones onto objects so that souls may be placed within them, granting them unnatural power. The stone must be a clear stone about the size of a grape and takes 1 day to craft.
Soul Spells: The Soul Eaters, unique in every way, are capable of casting special spells. These spells, rather than having daily limitations, use souls to power them; it is through said spells that the Soul Eaters sap souls and essences into the special prisons they carry. The Soul Eaters are also capable of casting other spells. They may use the spells of the souls and essences they have eaten, even if these spells are beyond their current “caster” level, however, after one use, the spells are lost to them.
Soul Changed Body: 3 Souls (21 soul levels)
- Huge Arm (right arm) (+2 Str/-2 Dex, regular damage (unarmed)
- Huge Claw (right arm) (1d10 claw attack; Rend attack)
- Create One: Maw (right shoulder) (1d10 bite in grapple, +10 intimidate)
- Create One: Scream: 5ft radius blast (1d6+con mod x2 damage, 5ft knockback; Ref DC 14 to remain standing; fail falls prone); partial action
- Create One: Shreik: 10ft radius blast (1d8+con mod x2 damage, 10ft knockback; Ref DC 18 to remain standing; fail falls prone); in grapple only
- Create One: Improved Legs (+20ft speed, +10 jump)
Sentient Soul Charged Dire Blade: Soul Edge: 18 Souls (21 Soul levels)
- Soul Edge: 2d10, crit x4, 150lbs, slash/bludgeon, Siege bonus
- Evil, Slay All, Int 6, Ego 20, Telepathic Speech
*Abilities with a star held by the weapon/armor and also confered upon the wielder
Soul Eater knowledge: 20 Soul Eater levels conferred upon wielder (for the purpose of Soul Levels only)
Soul Charged Full Plate: Azure Plate: 6 Souls (10 soul levels)
- +5 Damage
- Buff (+1 die type, increase weapon size)
- Eyes (Weapon gains large eye, *+5 to spot and search)
- Hunting (no change; *Scent, *Darkvision (60ft), *Tremorsense (60ft)
- Unholy (thin cloud of darkness)
- Siege (+10v metal, +15v stone, +20v wood/bone)
- Blood Spawn (exposed muscle and veins; slain rise as ghouls: 1d4 days)
- Azure Plate: Natural Armor +8
- Power: Regenerating (grants regeneration)
- Power: Strength (x10 max lift, siege bonus (unarmed), +2 Str)
Necklace of adaptation, Belt of Giant Strength (+6)
Spell-Like Abilities: Smite Good (1x/day), Darkness (3x/day), Desecrate (1x/day), Unholy Blight (1x/day), Poison (3x/day), Contagion (1x/day), Blasphemy (1x/day), Unholy Aura (3x/day), Unhallow (1x/day), Horrid Wilting (1x/day), Summon Monster IX (Fiends only; 1x/day), Destruction (1x/day)
- (Level 1) Sap Soul, Soul Ball, Soul Blast, Soul Smash, Soul Scream, Soul Bolt, Soul Beam
- (Level 2) Sap Essence, Soul Whirl, Soul Shudder, Soul Swarm
- (Level 3) Soul Barrier, Cast Out Soul, Give Soul: Weapon, Give Soul: Armor, Give Soul: Object
- (Level 4) Soul Gate, Soul Gate Inversion, Give Life: Weapon, Give Life: Armor, Give Life: Object
Age: Far beyond measure or memory
Weight: Estimated 400lbs with arm and armor
Seven feet tall and coated from head to toe in azure full plate, Nightmare's right arm is much larger than it should be, looking to belong to a demon at least three times his size. His long crimson hair is pulled pack, flowing from the back of his helmet, and his face, all but obscured by his mask, is revealed only by the glow of his blood red eyes.
His giant arm has a mouth on the shoulder which, if he gets in close enough, he is known to implement against a foe, and it is said that his mere scream is enough to level a group of opponents in mere minutes.
Nightmare, leader of the forces of Grazzat, is the general in command of an elite unit known simply as "The Four". A soul eater, his abilities are unmatched by any before him. He wields the great blade Soul Edge, and he shows mercy to none.
It is said he fears naught but one man. The half-celestial known simply as Siegfried. A man said to wield a blade Sould Edge's equal and opposite. A man said to have been created for the single purpose of destroying Nightmare... and his sword.
Character and equipment, even the class really, based off of Nightmare of Soul Calibur fame; be warned, he breaks my own rules a little bit, but I sorta had too to get the full effect
This is my first submission. That being said, I hope that some use will be found for it. I am known for making NPCs that are a little... unorthodox, but there are sure to be DMs and players alike out there with a similar line of thinking.